Monday, April 19, 2010

SHICIDA Method

I have already begun my research on (Early childhood education) and I realised that it involves lots of methods and trainings. And I still am not sure which is better!?! Anyone got any clues?
Ever heard of the Shichida method? It's about the "Right Brain Training" for a child. According to Prof Shichida, that presenting large amounts of information at a fast pace to infants, toddlers and preschoolers stimulates the right brain and can activate photographic memory. It is to believe that a baby can start learning from age 0-3 years. You can read more on this website: Shichida Method or go to www.shichidaparents.com
Well am just being curious about this method, just one question: Does it train the mind to memorize all the things or using both sides of the brains?
Then came Phonics, which I attend one of the workshops. Well, this method actually teaches a child to read BUT not knowing the meaning. To some parents this may be a shock, and if a kid follow through all the levels, a child will be able to pronounce all the words in the dictionary / Newspaper by 6 years of age. That is before they actually start proper schooling. Hmmm...
I ran on and do some other research which I came across another similar to Shichida, but it is called BRAIN-Child learning. Well this one actually train both sides of the brain and have a balance way of thinking. It is suppose to improve memory, enhance concentration and so forth. It is called a Mental Fitness Centre, whereby there are programmes targeting children age 6 to 13 years of age. You can read more about it in: www.brain-childlearning.com
Last but not least, I had a retired-teacher-friend which tells me that a child bellow the age of 6 years cannot regcognise words properly as their brain has not fully developed. Whatever they see are all opposite of what we see like in a mirror. So if we input alphabets to them they will write out on the opposite direction because that is what they percieved. If we force them to write it correctly, the kid will be using their memory to do so. In the end of the day it is not LEARNING but MEMORIZING!
Then he told me that we can only show them pictures and in this way no harm will be done. Finally, now I have come to a conclusion that, we are not stupid even though we learn slower last time why now we have to speed up the process? Then again, we have to keep up on the trend, so I think I will just introduce pictures to my kid and read her stories for now. No flashing cards and no ABC learning for now.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails