Monday, February 16, 2009

About Minimalism

I am now trying to move my things from one place to the other and I can't help think about the concept of minimalism in my life, design and space. It has occur to me once when I think my closet is too small for all my clothes; but then again I realised that one has too much clothes for my daily life.
Now what is minimalism. When we think about it, we would imagine it is about art, music and design. Then again, what about life? These days when I feel that I wanted to simplify things and make it easier or hassle free......... in a way modern, I use the minimalism concept.
Example during the chinese new year, we usually have this family gathering at home, the elders will cook and the young ones will help, then we had the dinner reunion and then proceed to clean up the rest and gather in the house and chat and retire till the next day. Nowadays, we all in the family plan to go out and eat, hassle free...... no need to cook and clean up. We just head for the restaurant and then eat, gather and finish the dinner then back home.
Well it is actually simpler and easier for everyone. Yet I can't help to think about all the tiny possible moments of family members gathering around to cook, wash and clean and talk about our memories, fun and gossips. These are the moments we can't share anymore. Well to think about it whether modern ideas are good or bad......... I really cannot say.
In my opinion, some things like my closet, I can use the minimalism idea, but it does not really apply to our culture or identity. If everything is hassle free, why are we making lots of fuss about ushering the New Year and other festive seasons? If life were that simple, we should not feel proud but worried!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails